Pages

If you want to be happy, be. - Leo Tolstoy

Monday, January 28, 2013

Unofficial Confession: One Direction

Well. Here we go. This is a wee bit embarrassing, but it's gotta be said.

I love One Direction.

There it is. 

And there they are!
Now here's the thing. One Direction has this stigma of being lame because a lot of their fans are little tweeny boppers. That's so dumb. Because they're really talented. Quite recently, I was among the number that mocked them. Just because they have a million fangirls. Who are often obnoxious. Admittedly, fangirls are obnoxious. But hating something because of annoying fans is almost as dumb as being an annoying fan. If we all hated things because of annoying fans, would we ever like anything? Once my family went to a Harry Potter movie, and these people sitting next to us were likely the most irritating people in all the world. Honest to goodness. We still talk about how irritating they were. But do I hate Harry Potter now? No, I do not. Because Harry Potter is better than it's fans, and the same could be said of One Direction. So consider this your official call to repentance. No more judging. Read the rest of this post with an open mind. Because dang it, they are so amazing.

"When did this happen?" you ask. "Good question," I answer. It started one night on a drive home from work. I was listening to the radio, and Little Things came on. I was like, Boo! One Direction! That's for thirteen year old girls who need something to be fangirly about! But I listened to it, because I'm a sucker for accents (as we learned in a previous post). And then I was like, Hey. This is kinda cute. NO! Wait! Stop, Anna! You aren't thirteen! You don't need to be fangirly! And there it ended. Fast forward a few weeks to New Years. Me and my cuz's (yeah, it's a word) were getting our groove on with Just Dance, and I jokingly suggested we dance to What Makes You Beautiful. Turns out that is the BEST dance on the whole dang game. So me and my Soul Sistah Lizzie were like, "Wow. This is good." And then we were like, "Hey. Maybe we like this song." Which then turned into, "Hey. Maybe we like this group." Which then to turned into, "Ermagersh One Direction is the best thing ever!" This is where we're at.

Yes. They're dressed as sailors. Don't even question it.
There are so many reasons I like One Direction. So many. 

Music. Obviously. Their music is really good. Some of it is super catchy and up beat, but there also softer ballads and sad (yet beautiful) soulful ones - really, they're quite versatile. If you've only ever heard What Makes You Beautiful, One Thing, and Little Things, you should really consider listening to some of their other stuff. I mean, those ones are good for sure, really they are, but they aren't even the best stuff they've got. I would suggest listening to Heart Attack, Gotta Be You, More Than This, and Tell Me A Lie. And for sure Kiss You. And Summer Love. And Last First Kiss. Heck, just listen to all of them. It's ridiculous, trying to narrow it down. But because of time restraints (I doubt you're just sitting around, looking for a way to waste away a few hours), if I were picking just one for you to listen to, I would go with Kiss You. Because it's super presh. And just to make it easy for you, I'll put the music video here for you. That's how much I love you.


Second thing to love. They're basically the most beautiful boys in all the world. I mean, just look at them. 

Left to right - Niall, Louis, Liam, Zayn, Harry
Right, right? They are beautiful. You honestly cannot look at that picture and tell me you don't find them in the least bit attractive. It's not even possible. You'd have to be a robot or something. With no heart. Or eyes. Something would need to be wrong with you.

And the best part is, besides being inhumanly gorgeous, they're really hilarious. And quirky. Like, they have real personalities. Here are your explanations (of course I couldn't pass up an opportunity to explain their awesomeness!). Also, more pictures. You're welcome, kids.

Niall - He's Irish, so his accent is especially adorable. And he has this thing. He spends, like, 90% of his time eating. He's got this food obsession. In fact, he once killed his pet fish because of overfeeding. It's quite endearing, actually. I mean, minus the part about the fish. That's sad. He's such a normal person, you know? I mean, as normal as an international boy band sensation can be. And look at his kooky little hat in that group picture! I love it. Also, he writes some of the songs, and they are beautiful, and always gives himself the smallest solos.

Louis - Louis is the funny one. And my goodness, is he funny. If you watch any of their video diaries (I know, I know, so pathetic - but really, you should watch them, because that's what really convinced me they're amazing), you will see what I'm talking about. He's the most random soul. And so funny.  And in spite of being obnoxious (in a really really good way!) he is so charming! It does not even make sense. And he's gorgeous. Did I mention he's gorgeous? Look at that top picture of them all together again. Those eyes are staring straight into your soul. 

Liam - Liam is the responsible one of the bunch. They call him Daddy Direction. Isn't that precious? It is totally precious. He's the really cute, sensible one. He's scared of spoons. I don't think I could explain that one. But I will forgive him his spoon phobia on account of he is beautiful, and he sings like an angel. He also has (had?) two pet turtles. Named Boris and Archimedes. I'm sorry, but those are the best turtle names I've ever heard.

Zayn - Oh my. Just ... Wow. Look at him. He's surely the most beautiful soul ever to walk the earth. The eyes, the jaw, the hair ... I'm sorry. It's just not even fair that people this beautiful exist. Apparently he's the "mysterious" one. And he seems really chill, in like, every picture ever taken of him, but if you watch the music videos and the video diaries, you see that he really is a goofball. Just like the rest of them. Albeit, a very handsome goofball.

Harry - Harry Harry Harry. What to say about Harry? He's the flirty one. I'm pretty sure they're all flirts, because they're attractive as all get out and famous. But he's been dubbed the flirt. Also, he is funny. I like him. And he has a beautiful voice. But he talks really slow in interviews. Half the time I love it because it's just funny, and the other half the time, I'm like, "Dang boy! Get a move on!"

All together now!
Yep. That's that money shot.

There you go. 1D (in case you didn't catch on, that's shorthand for One Direction. See how that works?) in a nutshell. If that hasn't convinced you, at the very least, to give them a chance - I don't even know what to say to you. Except that you are an insane psycho-freak, and I hope you get hit by a bus. (Ignore the bus part - I don't condone or endorse violence. But you really are insane and psycho and freakish.)

I have an un[OFFICIAL] confession, and it turns out I love One Direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment