Pages

If you want to be happy, be. - Leo Tolstoy

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Official Singles Ward

There's no going back now. I am well and truly stuck. I am now a Singles Ward attendee (is that the word would you use?). The complete, "We have new members, stand up and feel awkward while we all look at you" thing. It's official. Which, let's be honest, I'm not super thrilled about. I feel like that's taking church to a completely ridiculous level on the Awkward Scale. And, let's be honest again, I don't really need oodles of help in the Awkward Department. I've got it covered pretty well on my own, thanks. However, I have some great (I use this term very loosely) friends * cough cough Bree and Megan* who think Singles Wards are great fun. Don't ask me where they got that idea. So now I get to regale you, my faithful blog readers (the whole, I don't know, two of you?) with all my fantastic adventures in the singles ward! So far, well, I don't know. I guess it could be worse.

The first week we went, they pretty well lived up to the stereotype. Lot's of, err, shall we say, interesting people? Nice, for sure. But very interesting. And the lesson in Relief Society was about patience, which just begged the girls to talk about wanting to get married. And a few of them were also baby-hungry. So weird. Especially because I'm just this little 18 year old (which feels ridiculously young), and wow, I'm not at all concerned about getting married and having babies at this point. Not even close. So that was weird. And Sunday School was also a fascinating experience. By some cruel twist of fate we ended up in mission prep with about three other people. On the plus side, we got to hear a very interesting story about a bird that was caught by a dog and had it's legs broken or something and then flew away in answer to a prayer (I shouldn't mock, I know, it's a ticket straight to fire and brimstone. But honestly, it was hilarious).

The good news is: Things have gotten progressively less weird. Last time, we didn't even hear marriage mentioned. And this week was much better. Due in part to the fact that they skipped the third hour for a Linger Longer. I don't usually like those, but this one was okay. And not that I don't like Relief Society, but I don't mind switching it out every once in a while for food. What can I say? I'm a sucker for brownies and cantaloupe.

So I guess things aren't really so bad. And I'm sure it'll get better when I'm there a little longer and start feeling comfortable there. But for now? Things are still weird. Getting better, but weird.
I'm in an [OFFICIAL] Singles Ward.

No comments:

Post a Comment