Pages

If you want to be happy, be. - Leo Tolstoy

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Unofficial Word Snob

I'll admit it. There are words I like better than others. And some words, I really just hate. A lot. It's not like they did anything to me. Sometimes, I don't like things and I don't even need a reason to. That sounds rude, but I guess if it only extends to words, it isn't so horrible. I'm not sure if maybe this is just an "Anna is weird" type of thing, or if other people do it too. But there really are some words I can't stand.

A List of Words Anna Can't Stand
1. Ain't - Ain't is NOT a word. Just look at it! It doesn't even look like a word! It's just masquerading as a cool contraction, but it is living a lie. It's a stupid word, and I hate it.
2. Sofa - What is this, England? Are we all fancy and posh and too good for couch? No! It's a couch, people. A couch. (I'm not sure they say sofa in England, but I feel like it's a word they might use)
3. Posh - I just don't like it. You could say sophisticated, elegant, classy, fancy. And you choose to say posh? No. This one also falls under the lame fancy British words category.
4. Flesh - Flesh. Flesh tones. Fleshy. Goose flesh. What do all these words have in common? They make me want to vomit. Flesh just sounds gross. I don't like it.
5. Totes - Granted, totes is a word. If you're talking about multiple handbags. If you're shortening "totally" to make it cute and catchy, I'm going to have to call you out on it. Because it isn't a word! And it isn't even that cute of a not word! I'm just not a big fan.
6. The Skin of My Teeth - This is a phrase. But I still hate it. First off, teeth don't have skin. They're teeth. Secondly, ewwwwwwwwwww. The skin of my teeth? That is so gross!
7. Gelatinous Pulp - In reference to a lifeless body. Scratch that, in reference to anything. I kinda like the word pulp (as long as it isn't being used to describe a lifeless body or the gross stuff in orange juice), but throw it together with gelatinous, and I don't like it so much. Or at all, even.
8. Gills - I don't like fish (except for Felix). And I don't like the gills. The word, or the actual thing. If you think about it, they're pretty nasty. Little slits in the fish's body that allow them to breath in water? Yuck.

On the flip side, there are also some words I like quite a lot.

A List of Words Anna Likes Quite A Lot
1. Scum - It's a great word for describing people with unsavory characteristics. It doesn't sound super rude, but it gets the point across. Also, it's kinda fun to say.
2. Melancholy - Such a lovely word for a not so lovely feeling. Sometimes, I'm okay with feeling melancholy just so I can say the word.
3. Pardon - "Pardon me." "I beg your pardon." "Official pardon." This word also sounds British, but in a good way. Posh is more fakey "I think I'm cool" British. Pardon is classy "I have a large vocabulary and a cool accent" British.
4. Memorandum - It's just a cool word. I like the way it sounds. Someday I am definitely writing a memorandum, if only so I can tell people, "I have written a memorandum".
5. Ducky - Also a fun word. People ask how you're doing, and you say "Just ducky!", and leave them to figure out what it means. Or you call someone ducky, like, "Just a moment, ducky, I've got to finish sweeping the floor." It's just fun!
6. Indisposed - "I'm feeling rather indisposed at the moment" vs. "Yeah, I feel like crap and I think I'm maybe about to throw up all over the place." Which do you prefer? Come on. Indisposed wins by a landslide.
7. Yee Haw - I'm about the farthest thing I can imagine from being a cowgirl type AT ALL, but they did get this one right. Just say it! Yee haw! There's so much happy emotion behind those words! I like them.
8. Dusk - It's lovely word. A really truly lovely word. I say dusk, and I think setting sun, night slipping in around the edges, the brief moment where life balances between night and day. Lovely.

I don't know, maybe words are like people. Maybe they are all created equal, and there isn't a one better than another (though I must admit, I find that a little hard to believe. Phantom-like appartion, sophisticated elegance, and trepidation hardly seem equal to ghost, fancy, and fear). So be it. If words are all equal, than I am more than willing to admit that
I am an un[OFFICIAL] word snob.

In other news ...

BUCKET LIST NEWS
I have completed number 48: Watch an actual scary movie. So yippee! I watched The Lady In Black, nearly wet myself with fear, but I watched the movie and survived and life is good! So we can check that baby off the list! Yee haw! (See? It is a fun word!)



No comments:

Post a Comment